First time here? Maybe read the FAQ.

Casual serif with bouncy letters

I used this in a book years ago now can't remember what its called? So frustrating.
asked by turzo (101 points) Jan 11, 2016
edited by Stewf Jan 11, 2016

2 Answers

+3 votes

Pike by Dave Farey from Panache Graphics.

answered by Tecnotronic Champ (4,086 points) Jan 11, 2016
Pike! Of course, I knew it began with p, which wasnt much use :) Thank you so much.
Good catch, Tecno. See my comment on James’ answer for the original.
+2 votes

I don't know what the original was, but on my computer I have it as OPTI-Pacific Regular. I don't know whether you can still get this (legally or not, perhaps the question is moot for OPTI-CastCraft fonts...). There's also Beatnik for a narrower take on the same idea.

answered by jamesmillner Expert (1,352 points) Jan 11, 2016
Good finds, James! Despite what Alex Kaczun says in his Beatnik description, this appears to be the same design as OPTI-Pacific and Pike, which (like other Panache fonts) is probably a digitization of a phototype font. So I don’t think any of these are original and may have the same source.

Ok, I think I've sourced the original. It’s a series from Filmotype, which was often the source of casual scripts and freehand faces like this. Each style had a name, but here are at least 4 from the family: