First time here? Maybe read the FAQ.

Specifically, I'm looking for the font used for the words "COLOR CODE". It looks to be Clarendon, which is used throughout the manual, but I haven't been able to find a specimen with the wide, flattened "O". Additional pictures of the Buckminster Fuller manual can be found on Stephen Coles' Flickr here

asked by (102 points)

Reminds me of Volta, but that wasn’t released until 1956.

Yeah, I had trouble finding this. Volta also has a different ‘S’ that leans back. This could be hand lettering, but I will check my phototype books to see if I can find an extrawide Century/Clarendon.

1 Answer

+2 votes

These headlines could be hand lettered, but it’s also possible that it’s one of the many phototype versions of Clarendon. Photo-Lettering, for example, offered at least two families — Clarendona and Continental Clarendon — that had very extended styles, and the latter is a pretty good match. The headlines could also be scaled after setting, though phototype manipulation was not  that common in the 1950s. That said, this booklet doesn’t show a publish date. I only assumed it was around 1956 given the style and the year of the patent mentioned in the introduction.

answered by Champ (4.3k points)
Wow. Thanks Stephen! And your coment on the linked Flickr page was very helpful too.