First time here? Maybe read the FAQ.

“Dr Terror’s House of Horrors” 1964 movie trailer

Anthing remotely similar would be OK.
asked by ZodiacMindwarp (104 points) Dec 7, 2015
edited by Stewf Dec 7, 2015

2 Answers

+1 vote
Best answer

Agree with Paulo that it’s lettering, not type. Best way to get achieve this style is by hiring a lettering artist. If you must use a font, there are some similar typefaces:

See also Comic/Horror Dry Brush fonts and fonts inspired by Saul Bass lettering.

answered by Stewf Expert (3,370 points) Dec 7, 2015
selected by Stewf Dec 12, 2015
Thanks ever so much :-)

I've found some silmilar fonts - is there a way of roughing them up a bit in Photoshop to make the edges look hand drawn?
Filter > Distort > Ripple at a medium size and low % does an ok job. But for best results, I highly recommend doing it in Illustrator instead: Distort > Roughen. This filter gives you more control (vector, not raster) and you can make it directly to the font so the text is still editable.
Sadly I don't have Illustrator, I never quite got into using that. Ripple seems to do the trick, thanks.

Here’s another, this time with serifs:

I don't see the font, Stewf.

How about now?
Thanks Stef. Nice one.
+3 votes
Dr Terror's House of Horrors? The example you've posted is hand lettering—each repeating character is unique. You could search for hand-drawn/horror style fonts. Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer.
answered by Paulo Goode Expert (828 points) Dec 7, 2015
Yes, you're right. It's from the Dr. Terror's House of Horrors trailer.